[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Jens Alfke snej at google.com
Wed Sep 2 12:50:15 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> It still seems like you are interpreting this statement as saying
> that the UA must not allow users to keep/clear cookies separately
> from Local Storage data.

Yes; that seemed the most direct interpretation of its language.

> While on the face of it that seems like a possible interpretation, I
> think it's clear that this would be a lousy user experience and
> detrimental to developers as well.  Therefore I am convinced that
> the intent of the statement is to say that UAs must give users the
> same _abilities_ to see and clear Local Storage data as they already
> have with cookies, not that the two things should always be lumped
> together and made indistinguishable.

Then we are in violent agreement :) Good. As a newbie here I was less
inclined to give the spec the benefit of the doubt than you were.

So do the rest of us agree about what the statement should mean? And
if so, how could it be rephrased to say that more unambiguously? I
think Peter's quote above is a good start.

—Jens