[whatwg] A tag for measurements / quantity?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Sep 2 14:49:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Ian Hickson<ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > I can't imagine really seeing enough sites using this to make it worth
> > it, but maybe our experience with <time> will show this kind of thing
> > is used a lot.
>
> > On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Jeremy Keith wrote:
> >>
> >> The measurement microformat will enable unambiguous description of
> >> physical quantities and thus provide a solid ground for data sharing
> >> and automation in many areas."
> >
> > This is begging the question. Just because a pattern occurs a lot
> > doesn't mean that it should be marked up.
>
> Seems like these two arguments can be made against <meter> and <dialog>
> respectively.

Yes.

Neither <dialog> nor <meter> were added because they are expected to be
used in great numbers. Both were added to prevent another element from
being _mis_used. (Specifically, <dialog> takes away from the risk of
people marking up dialogs as association lists, and <meter> takes away
from the risk of people marking up gauges as progress bars.)