[whatwg] Fakepath revisited

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:14:31 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Alex Henrie<alexhenrie24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the cost of changing the browsers is equal

Is it?  What do the implementors on each side think?  Just because the
same number of lines would have to be changed doesn't mean the cost is
equal, in terms of getting people to agree if nothing else.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Eduard Pascual<herenvardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently, all major browsers implement "non-standard behaviour for
> compatibility with existing content", quoting your own words, or
> "quirks modes", to use more common terms.

Well, with the advent of HTML 5, it's now *standard* behavior for
compatibility with existing content.  :)  The overwhelming majority of
compat stuff works in "standards mode" too, though, not just quirks
mode.

> Does the HTML5 spec define
> what should trigger each "quirks mode" and how browsers should behave
> when in those modes?

Yes.  I don't know if the pages relying on fakepath would trigger
quirks mode, though.