[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:08:55 PDT 2009

10 hours ago, Hixie said:
> The fact that local storage can be used for cookie resurrection means we
> have to make sure that clearing one clears the other. Anything else would
> be a huge privacy issue (just as Flash has been).

There are a few other remarks in line with this from that email and a
subsequent one.

If this doesn't imply that LocalStorage in practice will thus become
an ephemeral storage mechanism that is easy for users to accidentally
blow away, and thus will be too unreliable for anything beyond a
supercookie, then I'd like clear statements to that effect.  As it is,
theoretical assurances that it's all going to be okay aren't adequate
- if any browser *actually* made cookie-clearing *automatically* also
clear LocalStorage, we authors can't rely on it.

Providing the *option* to blow away everything at once is fine, if
notated properly in the UI.  *Automatically* doing so, as Hixie
strongly appears to be suggesting browsers should do, is not.

~TJ