[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:20:14 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Eduard Pascual<herenvardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is not what the spec says, or is supposed to say, but how
> does it say it. This long discussion seems to be mostly around the
> point that the current wording is too likely to be miss-interpreted as
> "The "delete cookies" button (or any equivalent UI element) should
> also delete all other data stored by the site".

I think the new wording can't possibly be construed as saying that.

"User agents should present the persistent storage feature to the user
in a way that associates them strongly with HTTP session cookies.
[COOKIES]

"This might encourage users to view such storage with healthy suspicion."

I think this is too specific -- it should say something more like
"User agents should make it clear to the user that to ensure privacy
from sites, he must delete persistent storage as well as HTTP session
cookies."  But the current wording doesn't require or even encourage
anything unreasonable like having cookies cleared with the same button
as persistent storage.