[whatwg] RFC: Alternatives to storage mutex for cookies andlocalStorage

Chris Jones cjones at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 4 13:31:31 PDT 2009

Mike Wilson wrote:
> Interesting. I've been following this discussion as my
> experience is that it is *extremely* hard to make an
> invisible locking mechanism that is to provide both
> consistency and performance (no lockouts).
> So far it seems a silver bullet hasn't been found.
>
> Your suggestion is in line with what I would expect from a
> solution that makes a "best effort" compromise between the
> multi-tab browsing experience and the burden put on
> application authors.
>
> What if cookies are accessed between beginTransaction() and
> commitTransaction(), would it make sense to throw for
> updates with side-effects here as well? (Even though this
> would not be the case if done outside the transaction.)
> In some cases it may be helpful to get this "side-effect
> notification" for cookies as well...

I would prefer that cookies and localStorage not interact in this way.
It seems confusing to have cookies be "sometimes transactional,
sometimes not," although your proposal is certainly feasible.

The side-effect ("stomp") notification for cookies seems like a
separate, and good, idea, irrespective of localStorage.

Cheers,
Chris