[whatwg] RFC: Alternatives to storage mutex for cookies and localStorage

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Tue Sep 8 01:33:45 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Jonas Sicking<jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Aaron Boodman<aa at google.com> wrote:

>>> While this keeps existing IDL intact, it still breaks any existing
>>> pages, which is the real concern for any browser vendor I would think.
>>
>> Not necessarily.
>>
>> The second half of my proposal is that vendors who currently implement
>> local storage can choose to continue to allow access to it outside of
>> the transaction() callback. It seems like this would work fine for
>> single-event-loop browsers, right?
>
> But that results in code that works in one browser, but not another,
> defeating the whole point of having a standard.
>
> Would you be fine with having pages that work fine in Firefox and IE,
> break in Chrome?

I don't really see another option. People on the Chrome team are
saying it may be impractical to implement the spec as-is. Presumably
Firefox is unwillingly to break backward compatibility. If both of
these are true, we are headed for a split.

In this case, I don't think it is a big deal. My proposed API change
is so minor that it is trivial to handle in code:

function doStorageStuff() {
  ... use window.localStorage ...
}

if (localStorage.transaction)
  localStorage.transaction(doStorageStuff);
else
  doStorageStuff();

- a