[whatwg] Application defined "locks"

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Sep 9 19:02:22 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> In general this seems like a pretty interesting idea.  It definitely
> would be nice to completely abstract away all concepts of
> concurrency from web developers, but some of our solutions thus far
> (message passing, async interfaces, etc) have not been terribly
> appreciated by developers either.  The GlobalScript proposal is a
> good example: to us, shared workers were an adequate solution, but
> in practice the lack of shared state is very difficult for some
> developers to work around.  Possibly even more difficult than
> dealing with some levels of concurrency.
>
> I think it'd be interesting to introduce this as an experimental API
> and see what web developers do with it.

I think it's predictable that it will be used in badly wrong ways
without implementing it. Explicit application-managed locking is a
massive failure as a mechanism for managing concurrency.

> As for the idea of a sync API:  What if some library/framework and
> the embedding page use these flags/locks?  I know you can't actually
> deadlock with this API, but I worry some developers will just do |
> while(!acquireLock("flag")) {}| which could lead to deadlocks.  Only
> allowing an async API would fix this, but developers have typically
> not liked async APIs.

If we want to go async, then I'd rather have an asynchronous way to
acquire an *actual* lock on the resource (as with the LocalStorage
async transaction proposal), than an async advisory locking model.
Having both asynchronicity *and* advisory locks seems like the worst
of both worlds.

On the other hand, if we offer only the equivalent of tryLock() and
not a blocking lock(), it's almost certain Web apps will build spin
locks in the way you describe, leading to wasteful CPU usage, bad
performance, and the possibility of deadlocks.

> Here's another idea that I think is actually kind of cool:  What if
> we kept track of locking precedence (i.e. the graph of which locks
> have been taken while other locks were held) and threw an exception
> if any lock was ever taken in a way that violated the graph.  In
> other words, we wouldn't make the developer tell us the locking
> precedence, and we wouldn't wait until you hit an actual deadlock.
> Instead we would look for the first call site that _could_ have
> deadlocked.  A long time ago, I was working on a project that had
> some deadlock problems.  We implemented exactly this and it worked
> pretty well.

This seems like a very challenging programming model for little gain.
If the locks are purely advisory, they do not prevent race conditions,
but a discipline to prevent deadlocks will still make them very hard
to use. Note also that the possibility of synchronous cross-site code
execution would require a lock precedence graph to be cross-site to
really prevent deadlocks, but it would be impossible for a Web
application to guarantee anything about lock order with respect to Web
apps in different origins. The other possibility is to drop all locks
in the case of synchronous cross-origin code execution, but then these
advisory locks would not even be useful for preventing race conditions.

Locking is broken - just don't do it.

Regards,
Maciej