[whatwg] Application defined "locks"

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Sep 9 19:53:58 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:

> In general this seems like a pretty interesting idea.  It definitely would
> be nice to completely abstract away all concepts of concurrency from web
> developers, but some of our solutions thus far (message passing, async
> interfaces, etc) have not been terribly appreciated by developers either.

You have to be careful with developer feedback. Developers inexperienced
with pthread-style threads-and-locks typically like the model, since it's a
simple abstraction that *superficially* appears to map easily onto their
existing sequential code (e.g. because they can carry on using lots of
shared state). It's not until you get more experienced with it in a large
system that you really feel the pain, and appreciate why an apparently more
restrictive model might work better.

Rob
53:5-6]