[whatwg] Application defined "locks"

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Sep 10 00:38:14 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> OTOH, it seems like showModalDialog() is just a sharp edge that is
> likely to hurt you no matter what. Even with your proposal, unless you
> carefully arranged things in preparation for showModalDialog(), you
> could get stuck the same way.

showModalDialog is, in effect, a legacy API for largely intranet-
deployed enterprise apps. It's not really used on the public Web or in
modern content. If use of showModalDialog causes some suboptimal
behavior (whether race conditions or needless event loop blockage), I
won't lose too much sleep.

Regards,
Maciej