[whatwg] Fakepath revisited

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Sep 13 14:58:03 PDT 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical
> +w3c at gmail.com> wrote:
> Browser vendors cannot sacrifice compatibility for long-term goals,
> because their users will rebel.
>
> We can sacrifice *some* compatibility for *some* long-term goals. We
> do it all the time, even Microsoft. It's all about tradeoffs.
>
> In this case, I'd like to see a list of specific routers, sites etc
> that triggered the implementation of fakepath in Opera and IE. I'd
> like to crosscheck with our Bugzilla to understand why we haven't
> felt the need to do this in Firefox.

For Safari/WebKit, we haven't seen specific bug reports that are
clearly identifiable as this issue. But I'm willing to believe it is
real. We sporadically get bug reports about specific routers, but we
rarely have the resources to acquire the particular hardware and
investigate the issue. Thus, the problems tend to remain unresolved
unless it's a very popular piece of hardware and the bug keeps it from
working at all.

For what it's worth, I think fakepath is kind of gross, but far from
the grossest compatibility hack in the Web platform. And in this case,
input.files will give a cleaner and more capable API. So I'm ok with
the hackery here.

Regards,
Maciej