[whatwg] createImageData should take unsigned long

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Sep 13 23:57:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> > It's not so much that I disagree so much as that there is no point
> > fixing this now, since whatever new API we introduce today will just
> > end up broken in the exact some way as the existing API.
>
> The fix is not to introduce a new API that can handle high-DPI
> ImageData, but rather to make the spec reflect the reality that high-DPI
> ImageData implementations won't be possible with this version of the
> API. That would include, among other things, specifying that
> getImageData(0, 0, w, h) returns a wxh ImageData object, removing
> createImageData(ImageData) and making createImageData(w, h) take
> unsigned long and return a wxh ImageData object. In other words,
> aligning with what implementations already do (and will continue to do
> for compatibility reasons).

This is what we would do once we are in a position to introduce a new API
to do the high-dpi thing (i.e. once browsers are commonly deployed on
high-DPI displays), yes. I'm saying there's not much point changing it
now. Who knows, maybe some miracle will happen and by the time it comes to
provide the new API, we will find we can in fact use this API after all.