[whatwg] Turn off Anti-Aliasing in Canvas

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Sep 14 00:43:12 PDT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Marius Gundersen wrote:

> > This has been considered before:
> >
> >   http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-May/011263.html
>
> so it was decided against because some browsers might not implement it?

No, not at all. What part of that e-mail suggested that it had anything to
do with browsers not implementing it?

> In some cases turning off anti aliasing isn't just about speed or
> beauty, in some cases it can introduce things that should not be there.
> For example, notice the white line running diagonally across the face of
> the crate here:
> http://www.mariusgundersen.net/projects/Canvas3D/step6.html

The right way to do 3D rendering is not to use a 2D canvas but to use a 3D
canvas, such as is being developed (in secret, for some reason) by the
Khronos group.

I agree that sometimes antialiasing leads to seams, though; the solution
to that isn't to disable antialiasing, though (that would just replace one
problem with another), the solution is to provide new features that allow
you to create composite paths that are stroked or filled in one operation
(with one single antialiasing step) instead of requiring multiple distinct
operations (each with their own antialiasing).

Such new features will likely be considered for a future version.