[whatwg] HTML 5 drag and drop feedback

Nabil Elisa nabil.elisa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 02:37:57 PDT 2009

> Yes, that is a neat solution. However, it is still the case that at this
> time we should not add new features, otherwise we might get too far ahead of
> the implementations, and the quality of implementations will go down.

I support the suggestions that Francisco made and I accept that some of them
might be too much to add right now.  However, while I see the argument for
not racing ahead too quickly, I do think the last suggestion brings
excellent value in terms of 'additional effort to implement' vs. 'additional
benefit given'.  Considering how useful this feature would be for web-apps
(which I thought HTML5 was meant to be geared towards) I think that this is
too tempting to pass up.

Furthermore I'm not sure I agree with Ian's argument for holding out until
the browsers support the current API  more reliably.  My experience has
shown that there are numerous cross-browser incompatibilities in the
existing implementations of more trivial features, yet we are not waiting
for all of those to get resolved before adding support for, say, native
video.  So why should this be any different?

Anyway, I'm new to this group and don't know much about how decisions are
usually made here, but in case there was any doubt about this idea's
popularity I'd like to lend it my own +1.