[whatwg] article/section/details naming/definition problems

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Sep 15 18:08:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Jeremy Keith wrote:
> Henri wrote:
> > http://adactio.com/journal/1607/
>
> Ah, you beat me to it. I was just about to write an email to the list,
> honestly. ;-)
>
> So anyway, the upshot of my somewhat unscientific survey[1] conducted at a
> workshop a couple of weeks ago is that there is great confusion between the
> <section> and <article> elements.

I've tweaked their definitions (as well as a few others) to take this data
into account.

Thanks for this research, by the way, it's very useful.

> In that blog post, I point out that <section> and <article> were once more
> divergent but have converged over time (since the @cite and @pubdate
> attributes were dropped from <article>).
>
> I've also seen a lot of confusion from authors wondering when to use <section>
> and when to use <article>. Bruce wrote an article on HTML5 doctor recently to
> address this:
> http://html5doctor.com/the-section-element/
>
> Probably the best tutorial I've seen on this issue is from Ted:
> http://edward.oconnor.cx/2009/09/using-the-html5-sectioning-elements
>
> ...but even so, the confusion remains. The very fact that tutorials are
> required for what should be intuitive structural elements is worrying — I
> content model has been changed) ...although there is continuing confusion
> around <aside>.

I'd like to rename <article>, if someone can come up with a better word
that means "blog post, blog comment, forum post, or widget". I do think
there is an important difference between a subpart of a page that is
a potential candidate for syndication, and a subsection of a page that
only makes sense with the rest of the page.

Cheers,