[whatwg] article/section/details naming/definition problems

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Thu Sep 17 02:59:25 PDT 2009

Henri asked:
> do you think role=article is a legitimate and useful feature in ARIA?

Pretty useful but not *as* useful as some of the biggies e.g. search,
navigation, contentinfo, and all the roles to do with interaction.

> Do you accept the notion that ARIA should become syntactically
> obsolete over time so that its semantics are natively available in
> HTML proper? (See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/2009AprJun/0031.html
>  )

Now that's a big question. :-)

If that is the one of the goals of HTML5 then aren't there going to be
lots of existing role values that won't be covered by HTML?
role="article" would probably be the least of them.

But, even accepting that ARIA roles should be obsoleted by HTML,
that's not the same as being obsoleted by HTML *elements*. It's still
possible to specify that a <section> is of a particular type (e.g.
article) without necessarily creating a new element for it. Otherwise
instead of using <input type="">.

So an answer of "yes" to your question doesn't mean that every current
ARIA role needs a corresponding distinct element in HTML.

Yes.

--
Jeremy Keith

a d a c t i o