[whatwg] localStorage, the storage mutex, document.domain, and workers

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Sep 17 17:13:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> LESSONS LEARNT
>
> If we ever define a new API that needs a lock of some kind, the way to do
> it is to use a callback, so that the UA can wait for the lock
> asynchronously, and then run the callback once it has it. (This is what
> the Web Database spec does, for instance.)

When we add more of these features, I think we will need a way to acquire
multiple locks simultaneously before running a callback. (So if we had
localStorage.runTransaction(function(storage) { ... }) and
otherLockingThing.runTransaction(function(thing) { ... }), we could also
have, for example, window.runTransaction(localStorage, otherLockingThing,
function(storage, thing) { ... }).) So it may be worth thinking about what
that API should be and what we will need to add to each feature spec to
support it.

Rob
53:5-6]