[whatwg] notation for typographical uncertainty

Chris Cressman chris at chriscressman.com
Sun Sep 20 18:09:01 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:43 PM, ddailey <ddailey at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Question: what markup will be least cumbersome (and hence most recommended)
> within a plain text document that may ultimately be converted
> (automagically) to HTML5, assuming, in the meantime, that we may stoop so
> low as to put it in HTML4. I know folks claim HTML5 will never break the
> web, but those folks and I have some beer to drink before we see eye to eye
> on that subject, having seen the web break so many times in the last 1.7
> decades since I started playing with HTML at NCSA. Let us say I am a
> skeptic.

W3C has published "HTML 5 differences from HTML 4" [1]. If I
understand your question, I think that document will be helpful,
particularly the sections on changed and absent elements/attributes.
Avoid the absent elements and review the changed elements and you
should be fine.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/

--
Chris Cressman