[whatwg] Structured clone algorithm on LocalStorage

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Thu Sep 24 21:36:55 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> No, no... my point is that to the application developer, those "explicit"
>> points will appear quite implicit and mysterious.  This is why I called
>> out third-party JS libraries.  One day, a function that you are using
>> might transition to scripting a plugin, which might cause a nested
>> loop, which could then force the lock to be released.  As a programmer,
>> the unlocking is not explicit or predictable.
>>

> The unlocking around plugin calls is a problem, but it seems to me that any
> given library function is much more likely start with a plugin-based
> implementation and eventually switch to a non-plugin-based implementation
> than the other way around.

Suppose a library decides to add sound effects one day.  They'd probably use
Flash.

> Beyond plugins, I hope and expect that library functions don't suddenly add
> calls to alert(), showModalDialog() or synchronous XHR.
>
> Rob

Anyways, I will the first to admit that my argument is steeped in the
hypothetical, but when it comes to thread synchronization, it is important
to consider such unlikely cases.  I would greatly prefer a watertight
solution instead of just relying on probabilities.

-Darin