[whatwg] Spec comments, sections 4.9-4.10

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 04:33:04 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> I've gone through the spec changing "unless" to "except where" in a lot of
> cases. Let me know if you think it should be better still.

That looks great, as long as something else is actually specified
somewhere in each of those cases.

> If I did that, then the UA would be the one setting the string, and the
> requirement in the previous sentence wouldn't apply, since that one is
> about the UA not letting the _user_ set the string to an invalid value.

Okay, then I give up on this point.

> At the end of the day, readonly vs disabled is a UI toolkit feature that
> is present in all UI toolkits I know of; I'd rather not have HTML5 turn
> into a treatise in designing UIs and using UI widgets.

Well, okay.  I suppose the implementers of graphical browsers would be
expected to be familiar with UI toolkits, but I doubt most web
developers are (let alone web authors who aren't developers at all).