[whatwg] Workers and addEventListener

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Tue Sep 29 10:06:15 PDT 2009

The intent of the spec is fairly clear that addEventListener("message")
should not start the message queue dispatch - only setting the onmessage
attribute does that:
The first time a MessagePort <#messageport> object's
onmessage<#handler-messageport-onmessage> IDL
attribute is set, the port's port message queue <#port-message-queue> must
be enabled, as if the start() <#dom-messageport-start> method had been
called.

In fact, the only reason for the existence of the MessagePort.start() method
is to enable applications to start message queue dispatch when using
addEventListener().

I don't have a strong opinion as to whether we should change the spec,
though. I suspect not, given Anne's email. We should instead change the
example in the workers spec to call start().

-atw