[whatwg] Structured clone algorithm on LocalStorage

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Tue Sep 29 23:48:56 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

> ... snip ...

>> > OK, so we agree that the current solution doesn't meet the goals you
>> > stated above :-(
>>
>> Well, it addresses them as long as users are aware of the risk, and
>> properly document weather their various library functions will release
>> the lock or not. However I agree that it's unlikely that they will do
>> so correctly.
>
> I thought the point of not having lock APIs was that users shouldn't have
> to understand locks ;-)  The issue I've raised here is super subtle.  We
> have not succeeded in avoiding subtlety!

I think we're mostly in agreement. What I'm not sure about is what you
are proposing we do with localStorage? Remove it from the spec? Change
the API? Something else?

>> > IE and WebKit dispatch some of them synchronously.  It's hard to say
>> > which
>> > is correct or if it causes any web compat isues.  I'm also not sure that
>> > we
>> > have covered all of the cases.
>>
>> It still seems to me that it's extremely unlikely that pages depend on
>> cross origin events to fire synchronously. I can't even think of a way
>> to test if a browser dispatches these events synchronously or not. Can
>> you?
>
> i agree that it seems uncommon.  maybe there could be some odd app that
> does something after resizing an iframe that could be dependent on the
> event handler setting some data field.  this kind of thing is probably even
> less common in the cross-origin case.

But how would you read that data field in the cross-origin frame? I
think it might be possible, but extremely hard.

>> > Easy.  Just like with database, the transaction is the storage lock.
>> >  Any
>> > storage
>> > operation performed on that transaction are done atomically.  However,
>> > all
>> > storage
>> > operations are asynchronous.  You basically string together asynchronous
>> > storage
>> > operations by using the same transaction for each.
>> > We could add methods to get/set multiple items at once to simplify life
>> > for
>> > the coder.
>>
>> I think I still don't understand your proposal, could you give some
>> code examples?
>>

> ripping off database:
> interface ValueStorage {
>   void transaction(in DOMString namespace, in
> ValueStorageTransactionCallback callback);
> };
> interface ValueStorageTransactionCallback {
>   void handleEvent(in ValueStorageTransaction transaction);
> };
> interface ValueStorageTransaction {
>   void readValue(in DOMString name, in ValueStorageReadCallback callback);
>   void writeValue(in DOMString name, in DOMString value);
> };
> interface ValueStorageReadCallback {
>   void handleEvent(in ValueStorageTransaction transaction, in DOMString
> value);
> };
> then, to use these interfaces, you could implement thread-safe increment:
> window.localStorage.transaction("slice", function(transaction) {
>   transaction.readValue("foo", function(transaction, fooValue) {
>     transaction.writeValue("foo", ++fooValue);
>   })
> })
> to fetch multiple values, you could do this:
> var values = [];
> var numValues = 10;
> function readNextValue(transaction) {
>   if (values.length == numValues)
>    return;  // done!
>   var index = values.length;
>   transaction.readValue("value" + index, function(transaction, value) {
>     values.push(value);
>     readNextValue(transaction);
>   })
> }
> window.localStorage.transaction("slice", readNextValue);
> This has the property that all IO is non-blocking and the "lock" is held
> only
> for a very limited scope.  The programmer is however free to extend the
> life of the lock as needed.

What do you mean by that the "lock" is held for only a very limited
scope? You still want to prevent modifications for as long as the
transaction is being used right? I.e. no modifications can happen
between the read and the write in the first example, and between the
different reads in the second.

/ Jonas