[whatwg] Introduction of media accessibility features

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Sun Apr 11 01:38:56 PDT 2010

On 10/04/10 10:41, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> This proposal introduces declarative markup to associate external
> timed text resources (such as captions and subtitles) with a media
> resource. It introduces<track>  and<trackgroup>  elements to be used
> inside media elements and provides some recommendations on how to
> render the text resources.
> --------------

The proposal mentions SRT. There is no official specification for SRT is
there? If so, will there be a definition of the version of SRT that is
expected to be supported? The Wiki entry [1] mentioned lists a number of
optional extensions for example. Are these expected to be supported?

Is it expected that all of TTML will be required? The proposal suggests
'starting with the simplest profile', being the transformation profile.
Does this mean only the transformation profile is needed to provide
subtitle features equivalent to SRT?

The later note ("two formats are proposed to be supported, one of which
is trivially simple and the other has all the bells and whistles
required for high-quality caption and subtitles") seems to imply that
more than the transformation profile will be required.

I am wary of being required to implement the entire TTML specification
and an underspecified SRT format.

[1] http://wiki.videolan.org/SubRip

Chris.
--