[whatwg] WebSocket bufferedAmount includes overhead or not

Niklas Beischer no at opera.com
Thu Apr 1 00:33:27 PDT 2010

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 00:44:57 +0300, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Niklas Beischer <no at opera.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:22:07 +0300, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc>
>> wrote:

>>> EcmaScript doesn't do any serialization so I'm not sure what you mean
>>> here?
>>
>> I meant the serialization in the WebSocket. Unless the protocol
>> implementation keeps track of exactly how its serialized buffer differs
>> from
>> the original buffer it will not be able to give a correct answer to how
>> much
>> of the original buffer is left to transfer.

>>> My point was that using anything but UTF-8 is unlikely. So the
>>> opposite of what you're saying here.
>>
>> So you're saying binary is out of the question?
>
> No. At this point I'm confused as to what your point is. Unless you're
> simply agreeing with the earlier emails in this thread that the fact
> that we're converting to UTF-8 and use the converted bytes exposes
> some protocol details. Are you arguing anything other than that?

No, I'm not arguing anything else. I do agree that it exposes protocol
details. My point is that precisely that makes it more or less pointless
to hide other protocol specifics. Specifics that have minor impact on the
actual number bufferedAmount contains.

According to your suggestion we should expose the impact of serialization
but hide the framing. I don't see the reason for drawing the line between
the two. It will, in my opinion, only complicate the implementation.

BR,
  /niklas

--
Niklas Beischer