[whatwg] WebSocket bufferedAmount includes overhead or not

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 1 20:15:09 PDT 2010

On 3/31/10 6:57 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> I would expect that send() is allowed to start streaming data over the
> network as soon as it can, but only update bufferedAmount from the
> event loop.

Maybe I'm not being clear.  Let's say bufferedAmount were to reflect the
number of UTF-8-encoded bytes to be sent, for the sake of argument.

I wait until bufferedAmount is 0, then call send("My text").

What are possible values of bufferedAmount if I examine it right after
the send() call?  Is 0 a valid possible value?  What about 1?  2? 3? 4?
5? 6? 7?

Presumably the value will be somewhere in the integer range [0,7],
right?  Or will it always be 7 after that call in that situation?

-Boris