[whatwg] idea for .zhtml format #html5 #web

Doug Schepers doug at schepers.cc
Fri Apr 2 09:25:59 PDT 2010

Hi, folks-

Philip Jägenstedt wrote (on 4/2/10 4:36 AM):
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 15:07:25 +0800, narendra sisodiya
> <narendra.sisodiya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ____ just a thought ___
>>
>> You can view the first webpage create on earth. We have saved our file
>> from
>> .txt .rtf .doc and now .odt. I love ODF format (.odt and other things)
>> but
>> there is a scope for .zhtml format for document and other purpose.
>> Basically the idea of zhtml format is to create document/webpage using
>> HTML5
>> technology. HTML5 technology with client side can create dynamic webpage
>> with image video and we can actually use JavaScript to create a dynamic
>> document. So basically we can create a zip out of all the
>> html,js,css,images
>> files and put a extension of .zhtml.
>>
>> There are many advantage of using zhtml format.
>>
>> * You can create some good web based software and share it using just one
>> file.
>> * Any document create using zhtml will be viewable after 100 years too.
>> * Server must support .zhtml format so that website can autounzip and
>> provide underlying files Ex http://localhost/myfile.zhtml/test.html
>>
>> Disadvantage
>>
>> * There is no standard over web to make a slideshow Or presentation .
>> There
>> are 100 possible ways. So zhtml writers will make their own
>> conventions but
>> I believe that this will reach into a equilibrium
>> * do not know !! but there there will be someone.
>
> Sounds like widgets: http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/

Yes, this is exactly the motivation behind W3C Widgets (or HTML5
Widgets, if you prefer more buzzwords).

You can gzip up a set of related content, and run it locally with
special permissions.  You can digitally sign it, to ensure the integrity
and provenance of the content.  You can even run them on the server
referenced from an <object> element in an HTML page.  They might be
suitable as a Firefox-like "extensions" mechanism.

I don't think it's defined anywhere, but a browser could choose to save
bundled resources as a self-contained Widget ("File > Save as
Widget..."), which would be a great authoring solution for Widgets.

Regards-
-Doug