[whatwg] idea for .zhtml format #html5 #web

Eduard Pascual herenvardo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 13:26:42 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Thomas Broyer <t.broyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Eduard Pascual <herenvardo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Doug Schepers <doug at schepers.cc> wrote:
>> > I don't think it's defined anywhere, but a browser could choose to save
>> > bundled resources as a self-contained Widget ("File > Save as Widget..."),
>> > which would be a great authoring solution for Widgets.
>>
>> Isn't that the same thing, in essence, as MS did with IE? IIRC, IE had
>> an choice, on its save dialog, to "Save full page", which packed the
>> html page + all the CSS, JS, image, and other dependencies within a
>> ".mht" (called meta-HTML) file (which, of course, only IE would be
>> able to open afterwards).
>
> MHTML stands for MIME-encapsulated HTML and is an IETF RFC:
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2557.txt

I can't remember for sure where I saw the "meta HTML" name, but I'm
sure I had seen it somewhere.
Anyway, thanks for the correction.

>> The fact is that this feature has been removed from the more recent
>> versions of IE (not sure if it was from IE6 or 7). It would be
>> interesting to know why MS decided why such a feature should be
>> removed.
>
> Selecting Page -> Save as... on IE8 brings the save file dialog with
> the type defaulting to "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)"

My apologies: vague memory + not testing = stupid post from me ^^;
After a bit of research to refresh my memory, I've found that what MS
removed from IE was the "offline favorites" feature, and MHT was
portrayed as a better alternative. I just got a "404 Brain Not Found"
and mixed things up.

So feel free to simply ignore my previous e-mail, since it was
entirely based on a mistaken assumption.

Regards
Eduard Pascual