[whatwg] Directory upload via <input type="file" directory>

John Gregg johnnyg at google.com
Tue Apr 6 14:28:57 PDT 2010

The most relevant issue is that in Windows/Mac/Linux, there are no system
dialogs that let the user select either a folder or a file.  They each have
separate "choose a file" and "choose a folder" dialogs.  I think the logical
reason for that is that when selecting a file, clicking a directory means to
enter that directory and select from its files, not to choose that directory
as the result of selection.

Thus we would force UAs to reinvent file-picker interfaces in order to deal
with an input element that allows both folders and files.

 -John