[whatwg] Changing punctuation value of input element in telephone state

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:18:38 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:
> As Davis said, there are too many phone numbers format out there so we
> can't let the UA do a formatting because it will be a bad one in most of
> the cases. For example, in France, we use 2-digit blocks but in the US
> people write 3-digit or 4-digit blocks.
> Maybe the telephone type can be like the search one and be here only for
> styling ?

Mobile phones seem to get by ok with restyling the phone numbers you
type into them.  If you want to emulate that in your app (or
conversely, if you want to create a phone UI in HTML5), you'll need
the freedom to restyle the phone number in that way.

Of course, I'm from the US, and don't know if someone from another
country is annoyed at all the US-centric phone-number formatting their
phone is automatically doing.

~TJ