[whatwg] Directory upload via <input type="file" directory>

Ashley Sheridan ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 02:49:48 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 10:46 +0100, Diogo Resende wrote:

> I don't understand. I think in a "Choose File" Dialog you can pick
> multiple items. And as far as I know folders are mixed with files on the
> list (that's how you navigate between folders on this dialog).
>
> Why not choose multiple files/folders? Security doesn't seem to be a
> concern. I can make a mess with only one folder.
>
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 14:28 -0700, John Gregg wrote:
> > The most relevant issue is that in Windows/Mac/Linux, there are no
> > system dialogs that let the user select either a folder or a file.
> >  They each have separate "choose a file" and "choose a folder"
> > dialogs.  I think the logical reason for that is that when selecting a
> > file, clicking a directory means to enter that directory and select
> > from its files, not to choose that directory as the result of
> > selection.
> >

> > Thus we would force UAs to reinvent file-picker interfaces in order to
> > deal with an input element that allows both folders and files.
> >

> >  -John
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:
> >         It's unfortunate that users need to distinguish between single
> >         and multiple file inputs. That's not something we can change
> >         at this point. The web started with single file inputs. We can
> >         avoid adding a third type of file input they need to
> >         understand though.
> >

> >         Also, what should happen if you drag files and folders onto a
> >         "multiple" or "directory" input? Just drop the ones that are
> >         of the wrong type? I cannot imagine users making sense of
> >         that.
> >

> >         It's not clear to me from your original email what issues you
> >         encountered during implementation that led to this proposal.
> >         Is it just the leaf name conflict issue? I agree that's a
> >         problem, but maybe there's a different solution to that?
> >

> >         Ojan
> >

> >         On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:53 PM, John Gregg
> >         <johnnyg at google.com> wrote:
> >                 That's a fair question, but how is it clear today
> >                 whether an input can accept multiple files vs. a
> >                 single file using drag-and-drop?  Currently if I drag
> >                 multiple files onto an input that doesn't have
> >                 'multiple', I get only the first one.  (In Chrome.)
> >

> >                 Some good default text from the UA, like "Choose
> >                 folder..." instead of "Choose file...", would go far
> >                 to solve that, I think.
> >

> >                  -John
> >

> >                 On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Ojan Vafai
> >                 <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:
> >                         What about drag-drop? I should be able to drag
> >                         a directory, a file, or a list of files onto
> >                         an input, no? If not, how is this distinction
> >                         shown to users? How will it be clear to users
> >                         when they can do one or the other?
> >

> >                         Ojan
> >

> >                         On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM, John Gregg
> >                         <johnnyg at google.com> wrote:
> >                                 For context, Ian Fette started a
> >                                 thread about uploading directories of
> >                                 files in
> [...]

No, most usually in a choose file dialogue, if you select a directory
instead of a file, the Open button actually opens that directory and
shows you the files in it. This is expected bahavior, or how else would
you navigate you computers disk structure deeper than the first level
you were shown?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk