[whatwg] borders on images inside links

Steve Dennis admin at subcide.com
Wed Apr 7 17:08:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, L. Ian Hickson wrote:

> Personally, my opinion is that images in links should have borders because

> otherwise how do you know it's a link?
>
> This seems to be a minority view, though. People have been explicitly
> turning off this cue for literally over a decade.

I think that browser defaults should make sense when the page is rendered
Without author styles.  While authors often override this particular feature
, there they have the option to represent linked images in other ways such
as hover states, or more attractive borders etc.

Authors also often overwrite many other browser defaults such as font,
styles for horizontal rules, often margins on paragraphs/headings/lists etc.
But it's probably not a good idea to set these things to zero.

At the end of the day, I've never found turning off borders much of a hassle
as an author.

--
Steve Dennis
http://www.subcide.com