[whatwg] Proposal for secure key-value data stores

Nicholas Zakas nzakas at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Apr 15 10:28:49 PDT 2010

I believe what I'm proposing is an incremental change to the
already-existing data storage API and not and doesn't drastically
increase the API surface area. Where the encryption key comes from I
think is an interesting question, which is why I didn't address that. I
think there will be (can be) a variety of places from where a key can
originate. I don't think it's necessarily important that a key
originated from a server be passed securely to the client. A lot of web
applications pass tokens back to the client for security purposes right
now. As long as there is a relationship between the signed-in user and
the key, you're generally covered.

In any event, I think everyone has agreed that a JS crypto API would be
a good thing, yet no one has stepped forth with a proposal to move the
discussion forward. So here:

[Supplemental, NoInterfaceObject]
interface WindowCrypto {
    const unsigned short AES_128 = 1;
    const unsigned short AES_192 = 2;
    const unsigned short AES_256 = 3;

    DOMString encrypt(in DOMString valueToEncrypt, in unsigned short
cipher, in DOMString key);
    DOMString decrypt(in DOMString valueToDecrypt, in unsigned short
cipher, in DOMString key);
}
Windows implements WindowCrypto

Thoughts?

-Nicholas

Commander Lock: "Damnit Morpheus, not everyone believes what you
believe!"

Morpheus: "My beliefs do not require them to."