[whatwg] Dealing with Stereoscopic displays

John Tamplin jat at google.com
Mon Apr 26 15:22:03 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Eoin Kilfeather <ekilfeather at dmc.dit.ie>
> wrote:
> > I was wondering if any though had been given to a consistant way of
> > dealing with stereoscopic displays. A use case has come up in a
> > project I am working on which calls for the use of stereoscopic UIs
> > but I can find no metion of the term in either the specs or the
> > mailing list archive. My though was that perhaps it could be achieved
> > by having a browsing context "_left_display" or "_right_display"
> > allowing the user agent would render the left/right eye views to the
> > correct display in a technology agnostic way. Apologies if this has
> > already been covered.
>
> I do not think such a need has been taken to the Web yet.
>
> I am wondering: Would that require a Web page to be defined as
> actually two basically complete Web pages, separately coded, and then
> marked as targeted at the left eye and the right eye? That would be a
> very special use case on the Web and hardly render on every Desktop
> other than maybe as two Web pages one behind the other.
>
> If you need something like this, why don't you implement a demo with
> two actually separate Web pages and a main page that somehow connects
> the two pages to your stereoscopic display, targeting one at each
> channel? JavaScript will help. Then you can find out if there is some
> technical limit and how it may be done in HTML if there is a need for
> extension.

I would think in most cases you would be using something like WebGL to
render the 3D scene anyway, and WebGL already has all the information to
render to a stereoscopic display.

For normal DOM elements, it might be reasonable to have a renderDepth
attribute, and have the browser render the left/right versions properly to
convey the depth, but that seems more like a gimmick than anything useful.
Given the precision required, I don't think separately coding left/right web
pages would be useful at all.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google