[whatwg] Dealing with Stereoscopic displays

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Apr 27 02:01:13 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Eoin Kilfeather <ekilfeather at dmc.dit.ie>wrote:

>    * A user visits the National Museum site and wants to see a
> time-machine view of objects in the collection with a sense of 3D
> depth based on their age

I think this is the closest you get to an actual use-case :-). The rest is
mixed up with information about possible solutions. Also, it's highly
unlikely the a user will visit your site with a fully formed desire to view
objects in a collection with a sense of 3D depth based on their age :-).

But let's say the authors of that site want to visualize objects in the
collection with different objects at different depths. It seems to me either
WebGL or CSS 3D transforms --- or a mixture --- could be used for this,
maybe with some extra information provided to identity the camera positions
for rendering the stereo views.

Actually, I probably shouldn't be involved in this discussion since I'm
monocular :-).

Rob
53:5-6]