[whatwg] Should default styles for h1-h6 match the outlining algorithm?

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Thu Apr 29 11:26:50 PDT 2010

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#headings-and-sections
defines an outlining algorithm that gives each heading an outline
depth that doesn't necessarily match its h1-h6 number (at least as I
understand it, although I admit I haven't read the details).

There's been a bit of discussion at various times on www-style and
in other places about adding selectors that would allow CSS to match
on HTML's outline depth.

However, I was somewhat surprised to see that the rendering section
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/rendering.html#fonts-and-colors
suggests default styles for h1-h6 that don't reflect the outline
depth at all.  Should it?

Is the design of the outline algorithm in HTML5 intended to result
in better default styles for headings?

Or is it expected that the default styles are generally wrong but
that CSS provides selectors that let authors easily improve them?
(Why?)

-David