[whatwg] Why there is no wrap="off", intentional or forgotten?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Aug 4 13:55:42 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Oldøich Vete¹ník wrote:

> I'm missing the wrap="off" value for textarea wrap attribute; is there
> any particular reason why this is not part of HTML5? Currently the only
> values mentioned are "soft" and "hard":
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-button-element.html#attr-textarea-wrap

What would "off" mean? (In particular, how would it be different from
"soft"?)

> However, I'd like to use wrap=off because I don't want the lines to wrap.

They don't wrap (in the submission, that is) with wrap=soft either. Do you
mean in the presentation? If so, that's a CSS issue.

> There is also no mention in the spec about wrap=virtual and wrap=physical back
> from the days.
> http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/forms/_TEXTAREA_WRAP.html

Are they needed for interoperability with existing content? If not, then
it's not clear what the spec would say about them.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 6/2/10 10:10 AM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> > In theory, you can achieve the same effect by using CSS.
> >
> > textarea { white-space: nowrap; }
> >
> > This works fine in Opera, WebKit and IE. Doesn't work in Gecko though.
>
> If you think that the above style should do something to <textarea>,
> then the HTML spec needs to explicitly say so, since it's what defines
> how the inside of a textarea is rendered, not CSS per se.

Done.