[whatwg] Race condition in media load algorithm

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 2 02:17:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Chris Pearce wrote:

> There's a race condition in the media load algorithm. When the resource
> selection algorithm begins, it sets a task to complete the rest of the
> resource selection algorithm asynchronously.

Not quite. It awaits a stable state and then runs a synchronous section,
which means that it will run the subsequent steps as soon as the current
task has finished, before anything else that is queued.

Thus:

> In the asynchronous task, we set the delaying-the-load-event flag to
> true at step 4. But between the resource selection algorithm setting the
> task to asynchronously continue the algorithm, and the task actually
> running, the load event could fire

...the load event couldn't fire, because the load event is queued as a
task, which will execute at the earliest _after_ the synchronous section
has run (unless the task was queued before the task in which the resource
selection algorithm was invoked started, of course). I don't think there's
anything defined that delays the load event which can finish without a
task executing. (And even if there was, moving this particular step around
wouldn't change things other than theoretically making the race condition
window a bit smaller.)