[whatwg] "Content-Disposition" property for <a> tags

Michael Kozakewich mkozakewich at icosidodecahedron.com
Mon Aug 2 09:21:52 PDT 2010

>> Dennis wrote:
> Yes, but that wouldn't help since I want to force downloads regardless
> of the browser settings. Maybe it would do if the type was set to
> application/octet-stream, since those, by default, always get downloaded.

People don't often like it when they're forced to do something. If they want
to download it, they can select "Save Link As..." from their browser. If
they actually want to view it full-screen, they don't want to be forced to
download it.

I see where you're coming from, but we try not to force users to do things.
For the same reason, @target was removed from links.