[whatwg] suggestion for HTML5 spec

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Mon Aug 2 18:43:33 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2010, ryan14 at mail.com wrote:
>>
>> My suggestion for the HTML5 spec is that the video tag should have a
>> feature that can enable GPU acceleration on a user's graphics card, so
>> it will take some stress off the CPU.
>>
>> Do you like my suggestion?
>
> Why would a user ever want anyone to disable their GPU acceleration?

I believe I've heard people say that they might sometimes want this
for power management, i.e. performing the same computation on the GPU
might take more power than performing it more slowly on the CPU. I
imagine this would depend on the specific configuration and
computations involved, though.

-- Dirk