[whatwg] suggestion for HTML5 spec

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 2 19:09:00 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Dirk Pranke wrote:

> >> I believe I've heard people say that they might sometimes want this for
> >> power management, i.e. performing the same computation on the GPU might
> >> take more power than performing it more slowly on the CPU. I imagine
> >> this would depend on the specific configuration and computations
> >> involved, though.
> >
> > This seems like a matter for the user, not the Web page, though.
>
> Ah, I knew you were going to say this. I agree, but I can also imagine
> that the way the user selects this is by choosing one of two different
> resources from a page, just like we do today for videos of different
> bandwidths.

It seems better to have a way for the user agent to automaically negotiate
the right bandwidth usage based on user preference, too.

Any setting like this that we offer authors _will_ be misused, possibly as
often as used correctly. Unless there's a really compelling reason to have
it, it seems better to let the user be in control.