[whatwg] Input URL State and Files object

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Mon Aug 2 22:26:09 PDT 2010

On 8/2/2010 6:54 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>
>> Sorry, it didn't make much sense: I meant a FileList object which
>> FileReader would use.
>>
> I still don't really see what you want here.

>>> XMLHttpRequest is the intended way to do this.
>>>
>> XMLHttpRequest relies upon CORS headers from the server
>>
> Yes. We would have to rely on CORS whatever the solution was to be.
>

>> I'm sorry to have approached this so poorly; what I'm looking for is a
>> solution to the following use case:
>>
>> A person is assembling a digital scrap-book, using a web application, of
>> pictures they've found related to their love of kittens. Those that
>> they've downloaded to their computer, they simply drag and drop into the
>> application -- (File API, FileReader, ondrop). Those that they find on
>> the internet, they drag their bookmark onto the application, drag the
>> image onto the application, or simply, copy and paste the URL into an
>> <input type="url">  box.
>>
> Oh, you mean the ability for the user to give the page access to remote
> resources that themselves aren't opting in to giving the page access.
>
> Why wouldn't<input type=file>  be usable for this? You should be able to
> drag any file to that, just like you can type in a URL in Windows in an
> open file dialog box.

<input type="file"> would be usable.

Were this implemented:

When a user through selection, click+drag or manual entry of a URL
should the browser still submit an Origin request header? It seems that
CORS doesn't come
into effect here -- but at the same time, it'd be handy for logging
purposes and added security.

When a cross-site resource is fetched via CORS, the agent submits an
"Origin" header.
A secure site (such as a bank), may always return a Forbidden response
if the "Origin" header is set;
blocking any kind of cross-site sharing, even sharing attempted by a
user (through an <input type="file"> field).