[whatwg] Race condition in media load algorithm

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Tue Aug 3 16:18:00 PDT 2010

  On 3/08/2010 9:20 a.m., Ian Hickson wrote:

> The synchronous section would run as soon as the task span the event loop.
> Spinning the event loop is defined essentially as being equivalent to
> breaking the original task in two, one that does everything up to spinning
> the event loop, and one that does everything after spinning the event
> loop. You are effectively waiting for some condition to become true and
> then queueing a task to run the continuation of the algorithm. It's just
> more convenient to write the algorithms as one long set of steps rather
> than having split them up into multiple algorithms that invoke each other
> and pass state around.
>
>> Or does "stop the currently running task" in #spin-the-event-loop imply
>> a jump to step 2 of the algorithm under #processing-model2?
> Yes.

So the task spinning the event loop has run up to the point of spinning
the event loop, then we run the synchronous section, and then the task
which was spinning the event loop will resume after its goal is met at
some later time?

In the case of a tasks which invokes an algorithm which has a
synchronous section, and then pauses the event loop (such calling
window.alert()), we should not run the synchronous section until the
event loop pause has completed?

Thanks,
Chris Pearce.