[whatwg] HTML resource packages

Diego Perini diego.perini at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 03:46:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM, James May <whatwg at fowlsmurf.net> wrote:

> On 4 August 2010 20:08, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper at crissov.de>
> wrote:
> > * Argument: What about incremental rendering?
> > If there are, for instance, lots of (content) images in the resource file
> I will see them all at once as soon as the ZIP has been downloaded
> completely and decompressed, but with single files I would have seen them
> appear one after the other, which might have been enough.
>
> ZIP files are progressively renderable, dependant on file order.

In my experience "gzip" compression is blocking browser rendering until the
compressed file has been received completely.

I believe this is the reason we should not compress the HTML source, just
its external binary components.

I don't think the browser can separately decompress each block of a chunked
transfer as it arrives, am I wrong ?

Diego Perini