[whatwg] [br] element should not be a line break

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 08:06:50 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Thomas Koetter
<thomas.koetter at id-script.de> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I'm new to this discussion list, so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed before. A quick search didn't turn up anything though.

If you haven't taken the time to read the FAQ in its entirety, I'd
suggest that you take the time to do so.

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Why_are_some_presentational_elements_like_.3Cb.3E.2C_.3Ci.3E_and_.3Csmall.3E_still_included.3F

The short form is that part of HTML5 is documenting how HTML1..4
works, so that browsers can support existing content by implementing
the HTML5 specification. Changing how an existing entity from HTML1..4
works would result in browsers which do not properly render content
from HTML1..4 which is not acceptable....