[whatwg] Adding ECMAScript 5 array extras to HTMLCollection

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Wed Aug 4 16:47:41 PDT 2010

On Aug 4, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> On 8/4/10, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>  "submitButton" in form.elements
>>
>> Existing implementations vary on when they use catchalls. I'd like to
>> see standardization for this behavior and codification so that
>> implementations behave similarly -- either use a catchall for a
>> particular type of collection or use a native object. If a catchall is
>
> Native object either way, but either with a new ES catchall behavior
> or with a native ES object, as specified today.
>
> Garrett
As a question, if the node lists were implemented as catchalls, how would the behaviour differ from current NodeLists?  The only change I can see would be the loss of the host object exceptions in the ES spec, but that just puts you in the position of having semantics that match the current host object behavior in those implementations that already allow array functions to operate on host objects.

--Oliver