[whatwg] [br] element should not be a line break

Ryosuke Niwa ryosuke.niwa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 10:48:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com<Simetrical%2Bw3c at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Thomas Koetter
> <thomas.koetter at id-script.de> wrote:
> > What strikes me though is that according to the spec "The br element
> represents a line break". A *line* break is presentational in nature. The
> break is structural, but restricting it to a certain presentation of that
> break lacks the desired separation of structure and presentation.
>
> Anything else is impossible in this case.  <b> and <i> are also
> presentational, but the presentation cannot be separated from the
> semantics.

That's totally incorrect in HTML5 as Thomas has pointed out.  Let me ask you
a question.  What do you suppose non-visual user agent should do when they
encounter br?  Simply ignore them because it only signifies a line break?
 Or read out that there's a line break?  Neither seems user friendly to me.
 If anything, a momentary pause will be appropriate because what's what we
usually do when reading a book and a line break appears.  This clearly isn't
*line break*.

Best,
Ryosuke Niwa