[whatwg] Race condition in media load algorithm

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 5 11:34:05 PDT 2010

On 8/5/10 2:24 PM, Eric Carlson wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> In practice, what Gecko would likely do here is to treat "stable state" as "the event loop is spinning", just like we would for the other case.  This means that while a modal dialog is up, or a sync XHR is running or whatnot is a stable state.
>>

>    FWIW this is what WebKit does now, assuming you mean *asynch* XHR.

No, I meant what I said.  Async XHR is clearly going to go back to the
event loop, etc.  In Gecko, sync XHR does as well, by manually spinning
the event loop under the Send() call (and blocking delivery of certain
classes of events to the web page that triggered the send).

This isn't at all like the "pause" state the spec describes, which I
also mentioned.

On the other hand, I think the spec's "pause" state can have some really
undesirable interactions whereby a sync XHR on one page can affect
behavior of other pages, which is why I have problems with it...

-Boris