[whatwg] Non-blocking SVG Canvas?

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 6 13:16:37 PDT 2010

Here is probably fine, unless you want one of www-style at w3.org or
www-svg at w3.org.

> I'm guessing the discussion is becoming less relevant to the HTML5 spec...

But this isn't an HTML5 spec list...  It's a whatwg spec list (which
includes a lot more than HTML5).

> * Why do browsers do this? Is there somewhere in the specs that says empty (the transparent areas of) svg tags embedded inside another svg tag should "act like they do not exist"?

One could interpret section 16.4 of the SVG 1.1 specification as saying
this, maybe.  I'm not sure whether any UAs actually implement that (in
particular dropping on the floor events with no graphic element under
them in SVG documents).  Webkit and Opera certainly trigger the event
handler for a click anywhere in the viewport given this SVG document:

   <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" onclick="alert('clicked')"/>

-Boris