[whatwg] Please consider allowing the <time> element to accept coarser granularity dates

Tantek Çelik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Aug 7 02:25:53 PDT 2010

times, but omits several useful granularity levels, in particular for
dates.

The following additional date granularities would be useful, and are
fairly straightforward to incorporate into the spec (and
implementations):

* year only: YYYY
* year-month only:  YYYY-MM (also corresponds to output form of input
type=month)
* year-week only: YYYY-WNN (also corresponds to output form of input type=week)
* month-day only: --MM-DD (common birthdays without year use case)

More details, use-cases, research here:
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Time#Date_granularity

I encourage fellow web authors and browser implementers to add their
opinions/comments to that wiki page section.

Note that there are additional proposals on that page - I'm sending
one email per proposal (or strongly related set of proposals) to
better track them separately. Feel free to read through and comment on
other proposals on the page as well.

Thanks!

Tantek

--