[whatwg] Please consider adding a couple more datetime <input> types - type="year" and type="month-day"

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Aug 8 18:42:16 PDT 2010

On Mon, August 9, 2010 02:19, Ben Schwarz wrote:
> While creating an input that works for every use case you can think of
> sounds like a good idea, I'd like to question weather a user would ever
> *enter
> a date* that would require the inclusion of BC/AD.
>
> I'm certain that there is a requirement to markup such text, but as for *
> entry* I'm strongly of the opinion that you're over cooking this.

It took only seconds to find:

   http://www.guernsey.net/~sgibbs/roman.html

which requires (for some dates) entry of 1, 2, and 3-figure and BC years.

Likewise:

   http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/ec-cal.html

   "Please enter a year after A.D. 325"

Consider also a site allowing a search of an archive of archaeological
finds by year of origin.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing